4 Step Guide: Motorola Atrix 4G update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
Those of you that own the Motorola Atrix 4G smartphone happily registered your interest in the new Android 2.3 Gingerbread update, you were all notified of the update going live, those that did not register will happy to know it is now live and we have the 4 step guide on how to install the latest software update.
This update comes with many more new features such as HD Video Playback, improved web browsing and our favourite being the ability to side-load apps and this is all down to AT&T allowing all devices to side-load in its new policy, other improvements have been added as well.
This update is 161MB in size so make sure you have enough room, the new software has jumped from Blur_Version.4.1.83.MB860.ATT.en.US to Blur_Version.4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US and the 4 step guide below will help you learn more on how to upgrade to Gingerbread via SD card.
The process we are about to show you (Via Motorola) should take about 25 minutes to complete, please read it carefully.
Requirements needed to ensure a successful upgrade:
1. A fully charged MOTOROLA ATRIX with MOTOBLUR with an active SIM card
2. A microSD card installed in your phone with approximately 200 MB of free space.
3. Your phone is on the latest Android 2.2 software (Blur_Version.4.1.83.MB860.ATT.en.US)
4. To ensure optimal performance after the upgrade, the phone software must not have been modified in any way.
Download the software:
1. Download the file and save to your computer as “Blur_Version.4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US”.
2. The file can be saved on your computer or directly on the microSD Card
Drag and Drop the software:To change the phone as USB mass storage mode
1. Ensure your phone screen is unlocked.
2. Connect the USB cable to your desktop and your phone.
3. Your phone will beep (normal mode).
4. A “USB connection” notification will appear , tap and pull down the notification bar at the top of the screen and tap “USB connection” then select “USB Mass Storage”
5. If your phone does not recognize the USB connection, please turn the phone off then on and try again.
6. The drive will now appear
– For Windows, the drive will appear under “My Computer” as a “Removable Disk”.
– For MACs, the drive will appear under “DEVICES” in “Finder”.
To drag & drop software into microSD card
1. On your computer, go to the location where the software was downloaded in Step 2.
2. Identify the downloaded file from step 2 “Blur_Version.4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US”.
3. Drag and drop the download zip file onto your microSD. It must be at the top level of the microSD card — it cannot be in a sub-folder. (View Example )
4. Wait until copying is done.
5. Unmount SD Card from your computer
– For Windows, select the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the System Tray, then select Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device , you will see a notification stating Safe To Remove Hardware (View Example )
– For MACs, select the Eject button in the Finder next to the SD Card Device
6. Unplug your USB cable from your phone.
Install software and finish: Make sure your battery is fully charged so that you don’t run out of power during the upgrade process.
To install the upgrade:
1. From the home screen, press Menu, select Settings,
2. Scroll down and select About Phone.
3. Select System upgrades.
4. After a couple of minutes, your device will confirm the upgrade is available.
5. The Copy prompt will appear. Select “Copy”
6. The Install upgrade prompt will appear. Select Install Now.
7. Your device will power off and display installation progress.
Please ensure you are aware of the following information after the installation of the package
1. It will then power up and stay on the carrier logo for up to 5 minutes before powering on to the home screen.
2. Please do not interrupt this process.
3. Contacts and email from Google and MOTOBLUR may take up to 60 minutes to synchronize. The phone may appear slower during this initial synchronization process.
NOTE: When your upgrade completes successfully, delete the downloaded zip file from your SD card. This is important for your ability to receive future upgrades.
Please read the following steps that guide you how to delete the file.
1. Connect the USB cable to your desktop and your phone.
2. A “USB connection” notification will appear, tap and pull down the notification bar at the top of the screen and tap “USB connection” then select “USB Mass Storage”
3. If your phone does not recognize the USB connection, please turn the phone off then on and try again.
4. The drive will appear under “My Computer” as a “Removable Disk”.
5. Select the downloaded zip file then right click and select “Delete”.