HTC Desire Android 2.3: How to get Gingerbread Update
Many have asked the question if the HTC Desire will be getting Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread update soon, well according to sources below it looks that way indeed. The HTC Desire HD, which is the flagship handset, is on the list for an update also but this is not for sure at the moment.
After reading Android Community via TechRadar HTC has been contacted about Android 2.3 and they came back saying that a number of its phones will get the update, basically in a nutshell it is a matter of sit back and wait patiently.
We thought we would look into this a little more and came across Ali Waqas site and they have an ‘To Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread On HTC Desire’, please do remember you do this at your own risk and like Ali Waqas says “Use these instructions at your own risk. Aliwaqas.info won’t be responsible for any bricked devices and / or other software damage.”
A new Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for the HTC Desire called ‘GingerNinja’ has been developed by XDA member AdamG, this new ROM uses ramdisk.img and system.img to enable the Gingerbread port on HTC Desire, please remember that things are never stable unless they are official and this ROM is raw and cannot guarantee stability.
There are a few features within this new ROM that works and few that does not, the few that work includes APN List, Hardware Keymap, LED Activity During Charging and Radio [Calls, Data], plus SD card storage and Correct screen density. However, Sound, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi do not work.
Here is the following step-by-step guide via Aliwaqas.info
1. The first step is to make sure that your phone is rooted with ROM Manager and ClockworkMod recovery installed.
2. Now download Gingerbread for desire zip file from here and save it on your desktop.
3. Once done, connect your phone to the computer, mount SD card and copy the downloaded ZIP file to SD card root.
4. After you have copied the file, launch ROM Manager and boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
5. Once in the recovery, make a backup of your phone, WIPE data and then apply ZIp from SD card.
6. Wait for the installation / flashing procedure to finish.
7. Once the installation is complete, reboot your device.
And there you go! You now have Android 2.3 Gingerbread running on your HTC Desire Z. You can consult the official XDA thread posted here for support and further information.
If you are brave enough to do the above please let us know how you got on, as soon as we hear the official information about HTC Desire Android 2.3 Gingerbread update we will let you know.